I have been recently using the WOA 1/4 degree data and have converted them into netdcf. The way I did it was modify the fortran code generated from the UNIX ncgen routine for a typical netcdf file. I will forward the routine to you, but if anyone else would like a copy just drop me an email. It combines T and S data into one netcdf file and fills in the deeper levels in the monthly mean files with either seasonal or annual means (i think - I haven't used the routine for ages).... if you have any questions just ask!

Cheers

James

On 1 Dec 2004, at 01:51, namba takaya wrote:

Dear Joe

Thank you very much for your kindness.
If I can get the fortran code for 1 x 1 degree to NetCDF with the acceptance of Mark, I am very pleased and will be able to modify it for 1/4 x 1/4 by myself.
Best Regards,

Takaya Namba
From: Joe McLean <joe.mclean@noaa.gov>
To: namba takaya <takayanamba11@hotmail.com>
CC: ferret_users@noaa.gov,  "Mark.Collier@csiro.au"
<Mark.Collier@csiro.au>
Subject: Re: Transform World Ocean Atlas 1/4 x 1/4 degree to NEtCDF
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 14:43:51 -0800

Namba-san,

I see what you are talking about now. In February, 2003, I put out the
word through both the Ferret users and LAS users mailing lists that I
was looking for a way to translate the NODC/OCL World Ocean Atlas data
from the native OCL format to NetCDF format. The OCL format is a unique
compressed ascii representation of the data, and is not conducive to
Ferret commands for reading ASCII data.

I received an answer from, among others, Mark Collier at CSIRO. Mark
actually supplied me with the NetCDF files which he created. They hold
the 1 x 1 degree resolution of the data. I only glanced at the Fortran
code which he developed to do this, but you may be able to edit and use
this same code on the .25 degree OCL formatted files to create NetCDF
files. I have cc'd Mark with this email. If Mark wishes, I can supply
the code to you. Let me know if there is more I can do to help.

Joe
---------------------
namba takaya wrote:

> Dear Joe
>
> Thank you very much for your kind reply.
>
> I downloaded the high resolution files of 1/4 x 1/4 degree from
> http://www.nodc.noaa.gov/OC5/indprod.html
>
> The format is the same as 1 x 1 degree except for the 1440 x 720 in
> stead of 720 x 360. of 1 x 1 degree.
> The format discription is at
> http://www.nodc.noaa.gov/OC5/readqd25.html
>
> I would like to calculate geostrophic current from 1/4 x 1/4 degree
WOA.