GIS Re: Plot Shapefile

Hi;
There is a solid open-source GIS package available : GRASS
http://www.geog.uni-hannover.de/grass/
which I would highly recommend. Their web-site also includes
tutorials/docs/... You could either plot directly from GRASS,
or you could convert the shapefiles (or any other standard
GIS format) to gridded ascii data for use by ferret (raster data
in GIS lingo).

Lev Tarasov -   Dept of Physics, University of Toronto,
                60 St. George St., Toronto, Ontario, CANADA, M5S 1A7
                Tel (519)-821-3555  Fax (416)-978-8905
                email: lev.tarasoff@utoronto.ca
		http://www.atmosp.physics.utoronto.ca/people/lev/lev.html