Re: how to plot polar grid data (ascii) in ferret only north/southpole

Hi Ramesh,
            Hope by polar co-ordinate you mean curvilinear grid. Ferret offers
utilities for visualization and regridding (to regular rectilinear grid)
of curvilinear data. If you can handle ascii data in Ferret, please have a
look at the following references:

visualization :
---------------
     Three-argument (curvilinear) version of SHADE, FILL, CONTOUR, and  VECTOR
         Ch6 Sec10.  MAP PROJECTIONS AND CURVILINEAR COORDINATES

regridding    :
---------------
http://ferret.pmel.noaa.gov/Ferret/Mail_Archives/fu_2003/msg01347.html

 If you need any more clarification please post back all the relevant details
and a subset of your ascii data.

With Regards

Jaison

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004, K V Ramesh wrote:

> Dear ferret users,
>
>    I have an ascii file which, contains longitude,
> latitude and variabile in polar coordinate.
> Is it possible for me to generate a netcdf
> file using ferret Or is it possible to view
> in ferret. If so please help me to do this.
> If not bye ferret, how can I generate a polar
> grid data in netcdf file.
> I have tried to generate netcdf file by
> reading lat-lon values. It gave the following error.
> ***********
> alias daxis1 def axis/x/from_data/x/npoints=448/name=xax
> daxis1/unit=deg lons[d=1,i=1:448]
>  **ERROR: improper grid or axis definition: data for DEFINE
> AXIS/FROM_VARIABLE is not monotonic
> def axis/x/from_data/x/npoints=448/name=xax/unit=deg lons[d=1,i=1:448]
> Command file, command group, or REPEAT execution aborted
> *******************
> Thanks in advance.
>
> With regards,
> Ramesh

    Jaison Kurian
    Centre for Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences
    Indian Institute of Science
    B A N G A L O R E   560 012
    Ph: +91-80-3942505
        +91-80-3600450