Re: concatenating of files

Dear Patrick,

Thank you for contributing your software to the Ferret community!
Hopefully this will encourage the use of MC descriptors, which are a great
way to save time & disk space when working with multiple NetCDF files.

If you're interested, I've written a complementary tool in Perl, which
diagnoses the timestamps directly from the NetCDF files:

   http://www.gfdl.noaa.gov/~atw/ferret/make_des

Basic usage is

   make_des file*.nc > file.des

Run "make_des --help" for a detailed usage message.  This tool was
inspired by Benyang Tang's earlier work:

   http://ferret.pmel.noaa.gov/Ferret/Mail_Archives/fu_2002/msg00595.html

Andrew

|   Dr. Andrew T. Wittenberg   |        GFDL/NOAA        |
|  Andrew.Wittenberg@noaa.gov  |      Princeton, NJ      |

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004, Patrick Jöckel wrote:

> Hello,
>
> just read the discussion about concatenating nc-files ...
>
> I have put together a script which automatically generates
> multi-netCDF-descriptor files. It is available on the web:
>
> http://www.mpch-mainz.mpg.de/~joeckel/nc2mc/
>
> May be it can be useful!
>
> Yours,
>
>          Patrick
>

> On Thursday 30 September 2004 10:30, you wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > I experience a problem trying to put together wind parameters in files for
> > five years.
> > I succeeded for 4.5 years but couldn't finish the remaining 6 months. This
> > is what
> >   i did;
> > yes?set memory/size=100
> > yes?use my_file.nc
> > yes?save/file=concat_winds.nc um1,vm1
> > yes?use my_file1.nc
> > yes?save/append/file=concat_winds.nc um1,vm1
> > yes?can dat/all
> > -------
> > ------
> > And then the error after 4.5 years
> > lnetcdf/lposixio.c:277: failed assertion 'offset <x_int_max'
> > abort
> > Any ideas about how to go about this?
> > Thanks.
>
> --
> Dr. Patrick Joeckel
> Max Planck Institute for Chemistry
> Joh.-J. Becher Weg 27
> 55128 Mainz                   phone:++49-6131-305452
> Germany                       fax  :++49-6131-305436
>                              e-mail:joeckel@mpch-mainz.mpg.de
>                          http://www.mpch-mainz.mpg.de/~joeckel
> Never trust an operating system you don't have sources for.

| Dr. Andrew T. Wittenberg      | Mailing address:             |
| Physical Scientist, GFDL/NOAA | US DOC/GFDL                  |
| Andrew.Wittenberg@noaa.gov    | Attn: Andrew Wittenberg      |
| Voice: (609) 987-5064         | Forrestal Campus, US Route 1 |
|   Fax: (609) 987-5063         | Princeton, NJ 08542          |