Re: Redhat Fedora Core 2 Install

Hi Paul,
                  For me Ferret5.7 is running without any problem (OS is
Fedora Core 2). As Arthur suggested, this "symbolic link" is missing from your
/usr/lib.

    1. It seems that libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3 is a symbolic link to
             libstdc++-3-libc6.2-2-2.10.0.so

       Here is what i got..

[jaison@swathi]$ locate libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3
/usr/lib/libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3
[jaison@swathi]$
[jaison@swathi]$ ls -l /usr/lib/libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 31 Sep  9 12:52 /usr/lib/libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3 -> libstdc++-3-libc6.2-2-2.10.0.so*
[jaison@swathi]$

     I think you can just make a link as required & it will solve your problem.

     Try (as root)

     ln -s /usr/lib/libstdc++-3libc6.2-2-2.10.0.so /usr/lib/libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3

     or  you can download the required rpm file and install it. The rpm file is

[jaison@swathi]$
[jaison@swathi]$ rpm -q --whatprovides /usr/lib/libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3
compat-libstdc++-7.3-2.96.126
[jaison@swathi]$

 This rpm file is available at :

http://download.fedora.us/fedora/fedora/latest/i386/RPMS.os/compat-libstdc++-7.3-2.96.126.i386.rpm

 Hope This Helps

 With Regards

 Jaison

> Hello,
>
> I tried to install Ferret on a i386 (Piv) running Redhat Fedora.
> Everything seemed to go well with the install but when I try to run
Ferret
> I get the following error.  Can anyone suggest a fix?
>
> /usr/local/ferret/bin/./ferret: error while loading shared libraries:
> libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file
or
> directory
>
> Many thanks,
> Paul

1. Why does your path to ferret have a dot in it? Ferret apparently is
trying to open, so perhaps this doesn't matter, but it's a bit strange
(to me, anyway) to see such a path. The dot does not appear to serve any
function here. Anyhow...

2. First, verify that the missing library isn't anywhere on your system,
by issuing "locate libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3" (don't type the quotes). It
is part of a package named "compat-libstdc++", so you can also check if
this package is installed, by issuing "rpm -q compat-libstdc++". If it
is not, you'll have to go find and install it, as well as any packages
on which it depends. This can be done conveniently using yum (issue "man
yum" or "info yum" to find out how). On my system (also Fedora Core II)
it is present, possibly because I included gcc and various extensions to
it when I installed FC2. It lives in /usr/lib.

3. If it _is_ present on your system, someone else will have to figure
out why ferret can't find it. Perhaps ferret_paths needs to be sourced
(and properly configured) -- but /usr/lib does not appear to be
mentioned in ferret_paths, so /usr/lib is probably one of the standard
locations where ferret looks for shared objects.

Cheers,

AMG

    Jaison Kurian
    Centre for Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences
    Indian Institute of Science
    B A N G A L O R E   560 012
    Ph: +91-80-3942505
        +91-80-3600450