Re: bar plot

Hi Seontae Kim,

  Ans.1
       Please have a look at the following jnl files in your ferret
dirctory
           (/usr/local/ferret/go/*.jnl).

            1.   bar_chart1.jnl
            2.   bar_chart2.jnl
            3.   frequency_histogram.jnl   (...as recommented earlier by Arindam)
            4.   frequency_histogram2.jnl

        There is no "action" commands like plot/fill/vector to get a bar chart/
           histogram in Ferret. So you need to use the available commands after
           shaping the data in required form. Above jnl files gives detailed
           usage and examples. You have to do some trials to get the desired plot.

  Ans.2
      Two possibilities........

      Suppose the variable "VAR" in the netcdf file have two attributes
      like :

        float VAR(TAX1_13) ;
                VAR:missing_value = 9999.f ;
                VAR:_FillValue = 999.f ;

  Now, in Ferret if you are setting the "missing_value" of the variable "VAR"
  to 9999 (using set var/bad=9999 VAR) then 999 will get automatically
  converted to actual data point but it is a "fill value" !!!. So the message
  is that if the attributes "missing_value" and/or "_FillValue" are present for
  a variable in a netCDF file, there is no need to set the missing_value
  explicitly in a Ferret session using "set var/bad=".

  Another possibility is that the "missing_value" for the variable in the netCDF
  file and that set explicitly in Ferret session does not match "exactly".

  Hope This Helps

  With Regards

  Jaison

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004, Seontae Kim wrote:

> Hi all...
> How are you guys doing?
>
> I have two questions.....
> 1) I want to plot bar extending from base to y instead of drawing line. The
> data has time values in x-axis and temperature values in y-axis. Can I plot
> the bar using "PLOT"?
>
> 2) I have a NetCDF formatted dataset whose missing value is -9999.
> So, I added the following command.
>
> use precip.nc (time series data)
> set variable/bad=-9999 prcp
>
> but, Ferret still recognizes the missing values as the real values.
> I mean,  when the line is drawn, the missing values appear in the plot.
>
> What should I do?
> Please help me........
> Have a good day.....everyone

    Jaison Kurian
    Centre for Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences
    Indian Institute of Science
    B A N G A L O R E   560 012
    Ph: +91-80-3942505
        +91-80-3600450