Re: Labels

A futher addition to the discussion about uses of the
standard Ferret labels:

It may also be useful to place the standard labels on
different places in the plot, or to use substrings of
them. For instance, I often want to put the date label
of the data on the plot, but omit the time specification
that goes with it.

Also note that after repeated plotting on several different
axes and datasets in a ferret session, the label numbers for
the standard labels 4,5,6 (x- and y-axis info, dataset name)
may become disarranged, or may extend to use higher label
numbers than 6. To still be able to use these labels, note
that on making each plot, Ferret assigns a label number to
the standard labels, and these are available using the PPLUS
symbols. Try PPL LISTSYM to see what these are at any given
time. These symbols can be referred to in complete generality
by using the newest label number:

To get the latest x-axis label: ($lab($labnum_x)) -> lab4.
For example, to place this in the top center of your plot:

label/nou `($ppl$xlen)/2` `($ppl$ylen)*1.1` 0 0 .16 ($lab($labnum_x))

Similarly, the y-, z- and t-axis labels are available using
the numbers ($labnum_y), ($labnum_z), ($labnum_t).

And the labels for the dataset name and dataset title (which
may be written across the top center if a title is in the
netcdf file) are available using:
($lab($labnum_dset)) and ($lab($labnum_datitl)).

Try PPL LISTSYM after making some plots to see what these are.

Another useful technique based on the automatic labels is to
label just the date, not the time, when plotting part of a time
series (for example a single meridional section of an (x,y,z,t)
grid). Ferret's default date label includes the time of day of
the time series, which may not be meaningful and adds clutter.
To place the date-only label in the lower left corner:

let datelab = "($lab($labnum_t))"
label/nou 0 -.9 -1 0 .15 `substring(datelab(8,11)`

This will extract the date only from the standard time label.
E.g. if the entire label is "TIME : 31-MAY-1997 18:22", this
will extract just the 11-character substring "31-MAY-1997",
starting at character 8, which you can then place anywhere you
want on the plot, as above.

Rgards .... Billy K
*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
* William S. Kessler
* NOAA / Pacific Marine Environmental Laboratory
* 7600 Sand Point Way NE, Seattle WA 98115 USA
* Web: http://www.pmel.noaa.gov/~kessler
*
* ----- Through October 2004 -----
* UR65 Océanographie Physique
* Institut de Recherche pour le Développement
* Centre de Nouméa, BP A5 Nouméa, New Caledonia
* Tel: (687) 26 07 28   Fax: 26 43 26
* kessler@noumea.ird.nc