Re: Labels

Hi David,
           There are many ways to do this. Two methods are
detailed here. Please note that the FILL ot PLOT command is
used with /SET_UP qualifier followed by label removing  step
and PPL FILL or PLOT.

 Method 1 . Remove all labels then put the needed ones
 suppose you want to keep the default title to the plot and x_axis label
 &  y_axis label but no other labels.

 command   ppl listsym will show you the symbol name like
           labx/laby/labtit....(ofcourse after makking a plot)

 Example :

     set data coads_climatology
     set reg/l=1

     fill sst        ! to get hold of the ppl symbols we are going to use

     fill /nolab/set_up sst  ! the plot that we need without any label
     ppl title "($labtit)"   ! put the needed labels - title
     ppl xlab "($labx)"      !    "                  - xaxis label
     ppl ylab "($laby)"      !    "                  - yaxis label
     ppl fill

 Method 2. Remove unwatnted labels individually
  Let us remove all lables ..one by one

  Have a look at ferret/go/unlabel.jnl . "PPL LIST LABELS" will show you
  the 6 removable labels.
  The trick is to remove the label by setting its location to the origin
  with no text content like.. PPL LABS/NOUSER 1,0,0 @AS
  So you can use the go file "go unlabel" with the number of the unwanted
  label as argument or you can explicitly use the above trick.

  Example :

    set data coads_climatology
    set reg/l=1

    fill/set_up sst

    ppl labs/nouser,1,0,0,0 @AS !  removes ferret logo at top-right corner
    ppl labs/nouser,2,0,0,0 @AS !     go remove_logo  ==> equivalent to these
    ppl labs/nouser,3,0,0,0 @AS !                         3 lines

    ppl labs/nouser,4,0,0,0 @AS !  removes information about two axis/dims other
    ppl labs/nouser,5,0,0,0 @AS !     than that on x and y axes from top-left corner

    ppl labs/nouser,6,0,0,0 @AS !  removes data set name from top-right corner

    ppl xlab " "                !  removes x-axis label
    ppl ylab " "                !  removes y-axis label
    ppl title " "               !  removes plot title below x-axis

    ppl fill

 Few good mail in the archive about "unlabelling" .....

 http://ferret.pmel.noaa.gov/Ferret/Mail_Archives/fu_2003/msg01081.html
 http://ferret.pmel.noaa.gov/Ferret/Mail_Archives/fu_2002/msg00426.html
 http://ferret.wrc.noaa.gov/Ferret/Mail_Archives/fu_2003/msg00962.html
 http://ferret.pmel.noaa.gov/Ferret/Mail_Archives/fu_2003/msg00981.html

Hope This Helps

With Regards

Jaison

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004, David Muhati wrote:

> Dear All,
> I have tried to remove the labels on my plots (attachment)but cant be
> successful.
> I want to remove the ferret logo, time and data set titles and preserve the
> rest.
> Anybody with an idea?
> Thanks.
> David.

    Jaison Kurian
    Centre for Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences
    Indian Institute of Science
    B A N G A L O R E   560 012
    Ph: +91-80-3942505
        +91-80-3600450