lines thickness in PostScript file

Hello,

I have two questions about the quality of Ferret graphical output saved into a .ps file.

- Is there any way to increase the thickness of letters & box lines in Ferret?
- And is there any way to make the background transparent (or really white)?

I work with a Mac, I use Fprint to get my plot in a PostScript file and then epstopdf to convert it into a pdf.

My problem is that in the .ps (and .pdf) output, the graduation of the axis (tics and values), the line of the box around the plot, and the lines of the shakey are too thin. In fact, that's the case of all the black curves of my plot.
So, when I print the graph (in small dimension when included into Microsoft Word for example), they are defined so thin that they appear as thin grey lines (instead of real black lines). In a sense, that's a good news, my .ps is of good quality. I know how to modify the thickness of the curves inside my plot, but have no idea how to do "around" the plot.
The other quite annoying stuff is, no matter into which picture format I can convert my ps/pdf/eps file**, when I print the graph from Microsoft Word or from a graphic application (Graphic Converter here), I get lots of small points on the background. I've been told the reason is that the background of my picture is not really white or not really transparent... Only eps(i) files do not present that small points when printed. By the way, if anyone knows how to add (simply and rapidly if possible, because I have lots of pictures) a tiff or pict preview in the eps(i) file on Mac, I'm highly interested !!

**I've tried: tiff, bmp, gif, pict, epsf, jpg, png, psd, sgi, and wmf.

I'm conscient these latter points are not really "inside&about" Ferret and sorry for that, but I might not be the only Ferreter with those problems...

Thanks a lot for any piece of advice!

Emilie

Emilie VANVYVE
Physicist, PhD student

Université catholique de Louvain (UCL)
Institut d'astronomie et de géophysique G. Lemaître (ASTR)
Chemin du Cyclotron, 2
1348 Louvain-la-Neuve (Belgium)
Phone : +32-(0)10-473300
Fax : +32-(0)10-474722