RE: publication quality plots?

Adding (or replacing) the text with a program like Adobe Illustrator can improve the plots tremendously. For important plots, I typically create them as postscript in Ferret and then touch-up the text, move around the color bar, etc. in Illustrator. The downside of this is that it can be a bit time consuming. If I had the ability to change things in Ferret, one of them would be to output true postscript font text. One of the few points where I give NCAR Graphics credit is its ability to do this. All the code necessary to get any output is its downside. :-) Overall, Ferret wins hands down as my favorite graphics program because of its breadth of capabilities and ease of use.

-Bill
William I. Gustafson Jr., Ph.D.
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
P.O. Box 999, MSIN K9-30