Re: strange netcdf file grid attributes?

Hi Jozef,
	z is a coordinate variable name and when you try to plot z
Ferret tries to plot the values of the coordinate variable (for which
you didn't specify the grid) and hence the error appears. The easiest
solution is to put the variable name in single quote ('Z') while
plotting.

fill 'Z'[l=1]

Or, you may define another variable before using it:

let zfile = 'Z'
fill zfile[l=1]

Note that in this case sometime you may need to know the exact 'case'
of the variable in the file. If both 'z' and 'Z' are there in the file,
you can use both of them by the corresponding case. But only 'z'
is there in the file, then you need to use 'Z'.

This is very similar to the problem with a variable named 't' of 'T'
in the NetCDF file, for which you can get two nice answers in the mail
archive:

http://ferret.pmel.noaa.gov/Ferret/Mail_Archives/fu_2003/msg00630.html
http://ferret.pmel.noaa.gov/Ferret/Mail_Archives/fu_2003/msg00637.html

hope this helps,
 ARINDAM CHAKRABORTY
 Centre for Atmospheric & Oceanic Sciences
 Indian Institute of Science
 Bangalore 560 012; INDIA
 Tel: +91-80-22932505, +91-80-23600450
 Fax: +91-80-23600865