Re: with Descriptor file: ** unknown netCDF error code: -31

On Fri, 14 May 2004, Ansley Manke wrote:

> Hi Steve,
> You're right, of course.  The time axis is indeed computed using
>
> (S_END - S_START+1)/S_DELTA
>
> But the point is that the descriptor file wants the first and last step, in your
> case 1 and 240 for a total of 20 years of 12 months each.  The user does
> not have to worry about the +1; that is taken care of internally.  You have
> 240 time steps (middle-of-the-month values)  and you were thinking of
> the boundaries between time steps (end-of-the-month).

Actually, what was confusing me was that the last data file has only 11
slices in it so the total number of slices in all of the files is 239.
This is why I set S_END to 239. However, I think I was trying to do
something that wasn't supported by the descriptor file.  It was just luck
that the missing month was the very last one in order for it to work at
all.  For correctness I probably should have used a separate
STEPFILE_RECORD for the last file.

> Anyway, we got you off and going.

Yes you did.  Thanks very much.  It is a great help.  I thought I was
going to have to start ncrcating :^(

Cheers,

Steve