Confusion with labels and viewports

Suppose I have a plot that I'd like the labels I create (via 'LABEL' command) to always be in the same place regardless of whether I change the aspect ratio, or the viewport, or things like that. 'LABEL/NOUSER' is too rigid for this purpose, since I usually end up with labels drawn outside the plot itself, or in the middle, or somewhere else wrong.

So, using 'SHOW SYMBOLS/ALL', I see a number of variables I could use, including

PPL$XMIN1, PPL$XMAX1, PPL$YMIN1, PPL$YMAX1,
XAXIS_MIN, XAXIS_MAX, YAXIS_MIN, and $AXIS_MAX

The *AXIS_M* ones make sense - for the time series data I'm plotting, with a fixed vertical range (i.e., 'PLOT/VL=0:10:1'), the YAXIS values are right what they should be. The XAXIS values are basically in the units of the time axis, for example, since my time axis is specified as 'days since 1979-01-01', XAXIS_MIN has a value of 722517, when divided by 365, is ~1979. This also makes sense.

However, the PPL$ values make no sense to me at all. In this example, PPL$XMIN1 is 5.6928E+04, PPL$XMAX1 is 1.1169E+06. What "units" are those?

I can experiment around with manipulating the X and Y positions of my LABELs, until they miraculously end up where I want them, but that is too trial-and-error to be efficient.

Ideas would be most welcome.

/\ Gary Strand (303) 497-1336 NCAR ML220
\_][ www.cgd.ucar.edu/ccr/strandwg 1850 Table Mesa Dr
\___strandwg@ucar.edu Boulder, Colorado, USA 80305-3000