Re: feature request(s)

> First off, thanks as always to all the developers for their hard work in
> producing and upgrading Ferret!

Agreed - Ferret has come a very long way since I started using it in 1994...

> Now, on to the requests:
>
> 1.  A log-plot option for plot types other than just plot, ie: contour,
> shade, fill similar to the grads command 'set zlog on'.  I know that many
> of us that work in the atmospheric side of things do lots of height/lat
> type plots and this would make life much easier instead of using the
> workaround in the FAQ.

I second this recommendation.

> 2.  This is a more specific request.  When an axis is defined and saved to
> a netcdf file, the axis name is written in caps whether it was defined
> that way or not.  Some other software packages won't, for instance,
> recognize a time unit of DAYS but work fine with days.

I second this also.

It's been one of my little "pet peeves" about Ferret that it seems to want
everything in upper case, which, as Brent points out, can be a tedious pro-
cess to handle.

> While it's not overly difficult to dump the file, change it, and ncgen it,
> it can be a pain for multi-file datasets. [...]

Get the "netCDF operators" package, at http://nco.sourceforge.net/

It has a great many functions that greatly ease working with netCDF files -
for example, I use 'ncrename' and 'ncatted' quite often.

--
/\        Gary Strand (303) 497-1336                                NCAR ML220
  \_][    www.cgd.ucar.edu/ccr/strandwg                     1850 Table Mesa Dr