Re: clarification on MC descriptor files

Hi,
    From user manual Ch2 Sec2.1. Multi-file NetCDF data sets

	3)    (note) Previous to version 5.2, each file is
self-documenting with respect to the time axis of the variables -even if
the time axis represents only a single point. (All of the time axes must
be identically encoded with respect to units and date of the time
origin.)   "In version 5.3 and higher these checks are not performed. This
means that the MC descriptor mechanism can be used to associate into time
series groups of files that are not internally self-documenting with
respect to time".

      Now regarding your problem:
	you have
		hourly data ==>      D_TIME_UNIT = 3600  (in seconds)
	 	with different T0 ==> never mind ( provided your ferret
 			    version is higher than 5.3 & data time
                            points are continuous..ie. 61 files means
	                    hourly data from some hr in day 1 to some hour
                            in day 61 without missing any hour in between)
                solution ==> take one T0 ( say T0 of the 1st days file),
                                 give S_START & S_END for each
			         file according to this T0

                    suppose D_T0TIME      = '30-JUL-1993 01:00:00'
                            D_TIME_UNIT   = 3600.0,

                    suppose your 1st time point in first file  is
					"30-jul-1993:01:00:00" ...then

                    for 1st file    S_START  = 0  &  S_END = 23
                    for 2nd file    S_START  = 24 &  S_END = 47
                    for 3rd fiel    S_START  = 48 &  S_END = 71 & so on

  Hope now you will be able to trace your earlier problem with "error in
line definition A gap or overlap exists in time axis"
		==> you have same S_START & S_END values for first and
			and second file, as you can see it is not
			"continuous in time"

 A corrected form of your descriptor file is given below. Remember there
is a limit in the maximum number of files you can include in a descriptor
file (... 400 or 500 i think). Don't forget to cross check the
data accessed through the descriptor file with the original data, in all
aspects (including time).

With Regards

Jaison

======================corrected descriptor file====================

  &FORMAT_RECORD
   D_TYPE        =  '  MC',
   D_FORMAT      =  '  1A',
  /
  &BACKGROUND_RECORD
   D_TITLE       =  'Control',
   D_T0TIME      = '30-JUL-1993 01:00:00',
   D_TIME_UNIT   = 3600.0,
   D_TIME_MODULO = .FALSE.,
  /
  &MESSAGE_RECORD
   D_MESSAGE     =  '    ',
   D_ALERT_ON_OPEN      = F,
   D_ALERT_ON_OUTPUT    = F,
   /
   &EXTRA_RECORD
   /
   &STEPFILE_RECORD
    S_FILENAME = '/rcm/dissertation/coarse_control/MMOUT_DOMAIN1_60.nc'
   S_START  =    0,
   S_END    =  23,
   S_DELTA  = 1,
   S_NUM_OF_FILES  =   1,
  /
   &STEPFILE_RECORD
   /
    S_FILENAME ='/rcm/dissertation/coarse_control/MMOUT_DOMAIN1_61.nc'
    S_START  =    24,
    S_END    =  47,
    S_DELTA  = 60,
    S_NUM_OF_FILES  =   1,