Re: Climatological data

Hi Rolando,
I'm clearing some older email and realize your question never
got an answer.

Some of the datasets have information in their NetCDF headers,
which you can look at using the unix ncdump command,

! first get the directory where the data is
> Fdata coads_climatology

! if it were in /home/data, then
> ncdump -h /home/data/coads_climatology.cdf

Another way is to find the dataset in a LAS server, and look
at what is compiled in the "info" section on the dataset.  For
instance from the Ferret homepage, under "Live Access Server",
click on the NVODS server.  You will see a screen that lets
you reference data by dataset name, etc. Under dataset names, find,
for example, the levitus monthly data and click on the little "i" icon
in front of the dataset name.  You'll get a table of information
derived from the dataset itself, and at the top of this table, after
the dataset name, a link to "(more...)" which points to more
supporting information about how the data's origins.

Ansley Manke