Re: Plot buffer size

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004, Wendy Wang wrote:
> I try to make a contour:
>
> yes? set memory/size=99
> yes?  fill u[l=@sbx:5,k=2]
>
> the data set has the following:
>
>  name     title                             I         J         K   L
>  U        Zonal Velocity         1:209     1:31      1:15      1:360
>
> But I got
>
> **ERROR: a program limit has been reached: 2332440 points to plot
>           Plot buffer size is: 495000

Hi Wendy,

Maybe the underlying problem is that you're trying to "FILL" a 3d field,
instead of 2d as required.  This is because you've taken a slice of this
4-dimensional dataset in k only; the l=@sbx simply does a 5-point box smoother
in time, leaving the time axis intact.  Try one of the following instead:

fill u[i=1,k=2,l=@sbx:5]  (smoothed Hovmuller at i=1, k=2)
fill u[j=1,k=2,l=@sbx:5]  (smoothed Hovmuller at j=1, k=2)
fill u[k=2,l=5]           (spatial map of unsmoothed field at k=2, l=5)

Cheers,

Andrew

|   Dr. Andrew T. Wittenberg   |        GFDL/NOAA        |
|  Andrew.Wittenberg@noaa.gov  |      Princeton, NJ      |