Re: DODS access to GDS GRIB files

Hi Matt,
  For starters, you need quotes around the entire URL.  Lynn

On Monday, February 9, 2004, at 09:35 AM, Matt Howard wrote:

Help,

I'm trying to use a DODS-enabled version of ferret to access Eta
weather model output through the NOAA NOMAD servers. My goal is
to pull down regional subsets of the Eta fields. But right now I'd
be happy if ferret could read anything from the target file.

A web browser or the OPeN DAP Data Connector shows that the following
URL is correct. But ferret complains.

saltwater> ferret
NOAA/PMEL TMAP
FERRET v5.41
IRIX 6.5 - 08/30/02
9-Feb-04 11:12

yes? use
http://nomad1.ncep.noaa.gov:9090/dods/eta/archive/eta20040209/ eta1hr_00z?vgrd10m.lat[0:1:10]
** netCDF error: Invalid Argument
is this a CDF file ?

The underlying file is probably in GRIB format not netCDF, but DODS
should be making this transparent to me.

Any ideas why this access doesn't work. Is there a workaround?

Thanks

Matt

+---------------------------------------------------------------------- +
| Dr. Matthew K. Howard Voice: (979)-862-4169 |
| Department of Oceanography FAX: (979)-847-8879 |
| Texas A&M University Internet: mkhoward@tamu.edu |
| College Station, TX 77843-3146 webcam: http://seawater.tamu.edu |

Lynn deWitt
Pacific Fisheries Environmental Lab