DODS access to GDS GRIB files

Help,

I'm trying to use a DODS-enabled version of ferret to access Eta
weather model output through the NOAA NOMAD servers. My goal is
to pull down regional subsets of the Eta fields. But right now I'd
be happy if ferret could read anything from the target file.

A web browser or the OPeN DAP Data Connector shows that the following
URL is correct. But ferret complains.

saltwater> ferret
        NOAA/PMEL TMAP
        FERRET v5.41
        IRIX 6.5 - 08/30/02
         9-Feb-04 11:12

yes? use
http://nomad1.ncep.noaa.gov:9090/dods/eta/archive/eta20040209/eta1hr_00z?vgrd10m.lat[0:1:10]
 ** netCDF error: Invalid Argument
 is this a CDF file ?

The underlying file is probably in GRIB format not netCDF, but DODS
should be making this transparent to me.

Any ideas why this access doesn't work. Is there a workaround?

Thanks

Matt

| Dr. Matthew K. Howard                   Voice: (979)-862-4169        |
| Department of Oceanography                FAX: (979)-847-8879        |
| Texas A&M University              Internet: mkhoward@tamu.edu        |
| College Station, TX 77843-3146      webcam: http://seawater.tamu.edu |