Re: matching line and palette colors

Hi Lev,
Well, the short answer is that we just don't have a direct way to access
palette colors for line colors.  The way the graphics for Ferret works,
that doesn't seem to be in the cards.  Here is a way to do the kind of
thing you suggest, a somewhat tedious method using a series of viewports
to reset colors for individual color lines.

(if you still have a problem with PPL COLOR, let me know, or mail us at
the developers' mail oar.pmel.contact_ferret@noaa.gov )

First for reference plot a standard contour plot.  Define a bunch of identical
viewports, and in each one plot one contour level, coloring it with a new
custom color:

use coads_climatology
set region/L=1
define view/xlim=0:1/ylim=0:1 full_1
define view/xlim=0:1/ylim=0:1 full_2
define view/xlim=0:1/ylim=0:1 full_3
define view/xlim=0:1/ylim=0:1 full_4
define view/xlim=0:1/ylim=0:1 full_5

! default contours in black
set view full    ! the default viewport.
contour sst

set view full_1; contour/set/nolab/noax/lev=(5,5,10) sst
ppl color,1,100,0,75
ppl contour

set view full_2; contour/set/nolab/noax/lev=(10,10,10) sst
ppl color,1,100,100,0
ppl contour

set view full_3; contour/set/nolab/noax/lev=(15,15,10) sst
ppl color,1,20,100,0
ppl contour

set view full_4; contour/set/nolab/noax/lev=(20,20,10) sst
ppl color,1,100,50,0
ppl contour

set view full_5; contour/set/nolab/noax/lev=(25,25,10) sst
ppl color,1,0,70,100
ppl contour

! Reset color number 1 !
ppl color,1,0,0,0

Lev Tarasov wrote:
Hi;
	I have a set of 3D (lat/long/time) data (ice margins) that I want
to contour (without filling) with the same colour scheme as the palette
used for some time-dependent point data that is being plotted with
polymark. Is there any other way to do this aside from using the plotplus
color command to redefine the line colours? The problem with this approach
is that I need at least 14 different colours and as I understand it, ppl
color can only produce 6 different line colours. Or is there a way to
overide the 6 color limitation?

A way to directly access palette colours
for line colours would be useful addition for future ferret versions.

thanks

Lev

BTW, when I try ppl color to reset the plotplus color bundle, ferret
dies with a segmentation fault.
I'm using
        FERRET v5.40
        Linux 2.4.3-12smp - 02/19/02
        27-Jan-04 11:21

Lev Tarasov -   Dept of Physics, University of Toronto,
                60 St. George St., Toronto, Ontario, CANADA, M5S 1A7
                Tel (519)-821-3555  Fax (416)-978-8905
                email: lev.tarasoff@utoronto.ca
		http://www.atmosp.physics.utoronto.ca/people/lev/lev.html