Vorticity Calculation

Ferret users:

I need to calculate relative or total vorticity from a wind field in
curvilinear coordinates.  Is there a straight forward means of
accomplishing this in ferret?  The netcdf schema of my output and the wind
fields are included below.

-Dave

dimensions:
        time = UNLIMITED ; // (72 currently)
        i_dot = 121 ;
        j_dot = 165 ;
        i_cross = 120 ;
        j_cross = 164 ;
        sigma_level = 25 ;
        sigma_level_full = 26 ;
        categories = 23 ;
        season = 2 ;

        float u(time, sigma_level, i_dot, j_dot) ;
                u:long_name = "U COMPONENT OF HORIZONTAL WIND" ;
                u:units = "m/s" ;
        float v(time, sigma_level, i_dot, j_dot) ;
                v:long_name = "V COMPONENT OF HORIZONTAL WIND" ;
                v:units = "m/s" ;

David M. Flory                      **   "It's not the time you put in, but
Lecturer/Research Assistant         **    what you put in the time."
Geological and Atmospheric Science  **            -Unknown
Iowa State University               **
Email: flory@iastate.edu            **   "A cynic is a person who looks
Phone: (515)294-0264                **    down at those above."
Office: 3101 Agronomy Hall          **           -Source: fortune cookie