Problem with DODS connection : $HOME/.dods_cache

                Hi all ferret users,

I had a problem with ferret and DODS dataset connection, I have now the solution but I prefer telling you about this if you are in the same situation.

With a ferret V5.5, I wanted to access a DODS dataset.
So the command was :
[bulletin@romeo script]$ ferret
        NOAA/PMEL TMAP
        FERRET v5.50
        Linux 2.4.3-12smp - 01/15/03
        17-Dec-03 16:18

yes? use "http://opendap.mercator-ocean.fr/dodsC/mercator_psy2v1_mersea_grid1o8_med_best_estimate"
segmentation fault
[bulletin@romeo script]$ core dump

Ferret always did some "segmentation fault" for all the DODS dataset.
After tracing what ferret does (with strace), I found that ferret read in $HOME/.dods_cache for the DODS dataset.
So I have deleted this directory and now all work fine.

I don't know the reason, but it was not very simple to find this error.

Regards,
Tony

Tony Jolibois
CLS, Direction Océanographie Spatiale