Re: time-axis in plotting curves from CDF file

Hi All,
After a few messages back and forth between ourselves,
Byoin Huang and I determined that his question was about
plotting time series in general, and that it comes down to
whether the axis is specified as dates or time steps.

If an axis is specified as time steps without specific dates:

  def axis/t=1:600:12/units=months ty
  plot sin(t[gt=ty]/100)

Then the time axis is labeled simply with months, and the
full plotting capabilities of PPLUS for plotting time axes is
not available.  The axis will always have units of months,
and Ferret cannot make the automatic conversion to label
the axis with years.

To allow Ferret to convert the time axis to years, we need
to define the axis using dates, either in the /T=  specification,
or with a time origin /T0=

 define axis/t=1-jan-1950:1-jan-2000:1/units=months ty
  plot sin(t[gt=ty]/100)

or

 define axis/t=1:160:1/units=months/t0=1-jan-1900 ty
  plot sin(t[gt=ty]/100)

Ansley Manke

Boyin Huang wrote:

Dear All:

I used monthly out put (130*12 month), and calculated
EOFs (space pattern and time series) using annual
average.

Because of the regrid to annual average, the time axis
in time series is set as
TYEAR = 7, 19, 31, 43, 55, 67, ...in unit of months
when saving a CDF file.

When I plot the time series, using
 let x11 = eof_tm[i=1]
 plot/nolab/line=($ln1)/set             x11
 ppl yaxis ($y1),($y2),($dy)
 ppl xaxis ($x1),($x2),($dx)

The label of X-axis is out of control: The ferret some
how use a default value of x1, x2, and dx, and plot
ticks of "0, 400, 800,1200" months.

How can I control the X-axis, and plot the ticks of
"0, 20, 40, 60, ..." years rather than in months?

Or can I use unit of year rather than month when
saving the CDF file?