Re: Announcing Ferret V5.5

Hi all,

Helge Avlesen a écrit:
Dear Ferret developers,
I guess a lot of users will get problems running ferret on linux,
because of all the terribly inconvenient binary incompabilites between
distributions - and even versions of distributions. Would you please
consider making fully statically linked executables available?

At work I run RH8, RH9 at home and I can run ferret5.50 perfectly
using the compability libs for glibc, but only because Motif(and X) is
statically linked. on the most recent executable it looks like they
are dynamically linked again.

(All the following is from my RH8 machine)

[snip]

<avle@tindved> » ferret
appending ferret path
/scratch/avle/Ferret5.53/bin/ferret: relocation error: /scratch/avle/Ferret5.53/bin/ferret: symbol __libc_enable_secure, version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file ld-linux.so.2 with link time reference
<avle@tindved> »
well,
ferret 5.53 seems to work well on debian (but not run many tests..)
remind of the instalation procedure:

add
deb ftp://ftp.ifremer.fr/pub/ifremer/cersat/linux/debian/ stable contrib
to /etc/apt/source.list

apt-get update ; apt-get install ferret-553

I've also rpm avialable under ftp://ftp.ifremer.fr/pub/ifremer/cersat/linux/rpm

installation is ok under old RH, but not new (8,9)

I've seen some difference on __libc_enable_secure:

on debian, old RH
# nm /lib/ld-linux.so.2 | grep libc_enable
000135ec B __libc_enable_secure
'B' mean 'The symbol is in the uninitialized data section
(known as BSS).'

on rh 9:
nm /lib/ld-linux.so.2 | grep libc_enable
00015908 D __libc_enable_secure
00015908 d __libc_enable_secure_internal
"D" mean 'The symbol is in the initialized data section.'

so bad initialisation of __libc_enable_secure ?

I haven't get acces to ferret source. Perhaps the probleme should be solved by recomplation... source access to ferret will also allow me to make nice .deb and .rpm packages, and this will be a nice start to have nice las packages...

--
Olivier