bug in interpreter?

Very strange ferret behaviour detected. A colleague of mine confirms
that he ran into the same problem before, and thinks it is due to too
many variables, a too long script, or something similar. Apparently
rearranging variables or removing some can fix it.

The whole script follows below, I'm just pasting three variable
definitions here:

let dtdz_month=dtdz[gt=hope_month]
let dtdz_clim=dtdz_month[gt=month_reg@mod]
let dtdz_anom = dtdz_month - dtdz_clim[gt=dtdz_month@asn]

Follows the output from ferret when I run the script.

yes? go upwelling-budget
  (script runs, no errors visible)
yes? set region/x=100w
yes? plot dtdz_anom
 **ERROR: command syntax: DTDZ_CLIM[GT=D                (error, no plot)
yes? plot dtdz_month                                    (no error, plot
ok)
yes? plot dtdz_anom                                     (no error, plot
ok)
yes?

I'm not doing anything fancy in the definition of dtdz_anom or
dtdz_month, they just reference a bunch of other variables. No
self-generating code or anything :)

Does anyone have an idea what I am running into here? It could be
anything from a buffer overrun to a limit in the number of variables
reached. Any ideas/solutions are appreciated.

	 Hein zelle

follows the complete upwelling-budget.jnl, the datafile nieuw1.nc is
rather huge so I'm not sending it.

 ! NOAA/PMEL TMAP
 ! FERRET v5.50
 ! Linux 2.4.3-12smp - 01/15/03
 ! 02-May-03 13:14

! pacific region
go pac

! axes
use  climatological_axes
cancel data 1
define axis /t0=15-dec-1989 /t=1:120:1 /unit=months hope_month

! data files
use nieuw1.nc

! define variables

! mixed layer depth
let mixed = if (k eq 1) then 0 else pt_3[d=1,k=1] - pt_3[d=1]

let upwelling_weights=wv * mixed[z=@weq:0.5]
let upwelling=upwelling_weights[z=@sum]

! climatology
let wv_month=upwelling[gt=hope_month]
let wv_clim=wv_month[gt=month_reg@mod]
let wv_anom = wv_month - wv_clim[gt=wv_month@asn]
let climfold=wv_clim[gt=wv_month@asn]

! dtdz, + climatology
let dtdz = 20/pt_3[z=@loc:20]

! climatology
let dtdz_month=dtdz[gt=hope_month]
let dtdz_clim=dtdz_month[gt=month_reg@mod]
let dtdz_anom = dtdz_month - dtdz_clim[gt=dtdz_month@asn]
let dtdz_climfold=dtdz_clim[gt=dtdz_month@asn]

! sst budget
let wbartbar = climfold*dtdz_climfold
let wbartprime = climfold*dtdz_anom
let wprimetbar = wv_anom*dtdz_climfold
let wprimetprime = wv_anom*dtdz_anom
let primesum = wprimetbar + wprimetprime

    Hein Zelle
    Dept. of Oceographic Research
    KNMI, The Netherlands
    work:        zelle@knmi.nl     http://www.knmi.nl/~zelle