How to make ferret recognize/process "NaN" in a MatLab file?

Hi there
I have some 3D scattered point data. I picked one of them as sample, did 3D interpolation with MatLab.
Then I cut a slice from the interpolated 3D data and saved it into an ascii file.
Everything went perfectly expect that there were a few "NaN" in the ascii file. When I use ferret to read this file,
for example, file/var=salinity/grid=mygird mytest.dat, ferret complained about the "NaN". However, this not a problem
at all using MatLab to ingest it.
Anybody knows how to solve this problem? How to make ferret ingest the file with "NaN" in?
Thanks a lot.
Ding

--
Ding Chi