How to shade and interpolate a scattered data file ?

Dear ferret users
I 'm writing this letter to ask for help about the "shade" command. I have an ascii point data file with around 1000 rows and each row contains three columns, "longitude", "depth" and "value". I am looking for a way to shade the original point data without interpolation. The commands I used are listed below
yes? DEFINE AXIS/X=145:169:1 xax ! the longitude range of my data is between 145 and 169
yes? DEFINE AXIS/Y=-200:-4:1 yax ! the depth range is between -200 and -4
yes? SET DATA/EZ/VARIABLES="lats,lons,value" mydata.txt
After the 3 commands above, I don't know how to use "shade" command to draw the original point data. The basic syntax of shade is like SHADE[/qualifiers] expression
I have two questions here.
1) Is "expression" here necessarily a variable or function upon a 2D region? What should I do to shade "value" here? Do I need to define a 2D variable for this purpose?
2) I know I can use SCAT2GRIDGAUSS_XY or SCAT2GRIDLAPLACE_XY to grid my scattered data. Does each of these two external functions interpolate the point data on two dimensions? Since the longitude values of my data are not increased regularly, I don't want to interpoloate on longitude. Can anybody show me how to just interpolate on one dimension, say depth? Thanks a lot. Any information will be highly appreciated.
Ding Chi