Question about Getting profile data into Ferret

Hi dear Ferret users
   I'm learning to put my profile data into ferret and I have problems understanding the example scripts in ferret user's guid, chapter.
   In the following ferret script, what does "let outvar = 1/0 * x[g=gall] * z[g=gall]" mean? Anybody can help me?
   Thanks a lot in advance.

   Ding Chi

! for this example we begin by manufacturing some data
! ... pretend this is one of your casts - unequal vertical spacing
list/file=test_cast.dat/nohead/form=(2f)/i=1:10 10*i+randu(i), sin(i/6)

! create a grid suitable for ALL casts together
! make the points regular in X and Z ... they need not be, however
define axis/depth/z=0:1000:20/unit=meters zall ! ARBITRARTY Z AXIS
define axis/x=0:9:1/unit="sequence" xall
define grid/x=xall/z=zall gall

! create an empty output file
! if we were reading netCDF files we would create variables to hold
! longitude, latitude, and time (year, month, day).
! A latitude output variable, for example, is created below
let outvar = 1/0 * x[g=gall] * z[g=gall]
set variable/title="My merged var"/units="my units" outvar
save/file=all_casts.cdf/ilimits=1:10/zlimits=0:1000 outvar
let lat = 1/0*X[gx=gall]
set variable/title="Latitude"/Units="degrees" lat
save/append/file=all_casts.cdf/ilimits=1:10 lat

--
Ding Chi
Research Staff