Re: grib to netcdf

Hopefully I'm not out of line to mention here that NCL
(http://ngwww.ucar.edu/ncl/) has a very easy-to-use interface for reading
GRIB data. NCL presents GRIB using a netCDF-like interface, generating
time and level dimensions on the fly from the individual records in the
file, along with time, level, lat, and lon coordinate variables and
appropriate attributes. No descriptor files are required and there is
built-in support for all the parameter tables known to wgrib, plus the
capability to supply user-defined parameter tables via text files.
See
http://ngwww.ucar.edu/ngdoc/ng/ref/ncl/NclFormatSupport.html#GRIB
for more information. Note that while the basic interface has been
around for many years, some of these capabilities, like
the user-defined parameter tables, are enhancements that are part of
the newest release, scheduled for the end of March.
 -dave
 dbrown@ucar.edu