problems in merging two cdf files

Hi all,
I am in desperate trying to merge some cdf filess. I got some useful information from the mail achives. Now I am using save/append commond to do that. But one problem I got is one of the parameter I need to save is 'X', and it seems I am not allowed to use 'X' in ferret. But 'X' and 'Y' are the variables I have to save in my new file. I try to change the 'X' and 'Y' to lon and lat, but it still does not work cause it can't link the new term with the old parameter together.
I am really confused now. Hope you guys could help me ASAP.
thanks a lot!
Lily