Re: about UWM/coads data

Hi Weiqiang,

The suggestion that Ansley made is for curvilinear coordinate data that
is on some sort of IJ grid.  For that type of data you would expect to
see:

lon  100 80  1  1
lat  100 80  1  1
temp 100 80  1 12

It looks like your data is what we would call a 'scatter' of points --
more or less random locations on the globe.

Here's what you can do with your data:

1) If your data is actually organized into rows and columns then you'll
have to reshape the lon lat and temp variables to reflect this (as
above).  Read about Ferret's RESHAPE command.  Then you can use the
commands that Ansley suggested.

2) If your data is a scatter of points that cannot be organized in to
rows and columns you'll need to try out the polymark script and POLY
command as described in the documentation:

http://ferret.wrc.noaa.gov/Ferret/Documentation/Users_Guide/current/Chapter8_Working_with_Special_Data_Sets.htm#_VPID_282

and in the demos:

http://ferret.wrc.noaa.gov/Ferret/Demos/polymark_demo/polymark_demo.html

Good luck!