Re: Exporting to GIS

Hi Jonathan

I am not a very experienced ferret user. So I can't tell you how to do it in
ferret - if it is possible. However, I would propose to do this outside of
ferret as this might be considerably faster. At our institute, a small programm
called cdf2arc (also arc2cdf) was written within the Metphomod project. It
converts regularly gridded (net)cdf data into an ascii arc/info-grid. I'm sure
there are some limitations (such as e.g. hard-coded error values) as it was a
kind of first draft written for a specific task. But it should be quite easy to
adapt it for your needs. It requires that you have the netcdf library installed.

So, if you are interested, have a look at

http://giub.unibe.ch/klimet/metphomod/

and go to the section Downloads.

Good luck,

Nicolas

>Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 10:02:08 -0400
>From: Johnathan Kool <jkool@rsmas.miami.edu>
>Subject: Exporting to GIS
>To: ferret_users@ferret.wrc.noaa.gov
>
>Hi there,
>

>I'm a relatively new user of Ferret, coming from the GIS community
>rather than the Physical Oceanography community.  I've obtained several
>relatively large data sets in .cdf format that display just fine in
>Ferret.  What I'd like to do however, is to convert them into a format
>that can be read by a standard GIS package (ArcInfo).  I'm guessing that
>the best way to do this is to convert it into ASCII, but in trying to do
>this using the LIST command, I'm only able to get a maximum of 255
>columns worth of data.  Is there a way of expanding this limit, or
>effecting a workaround?  It's probably an easy solution, but my lack of
>familiarity with the program is holding me up.  Any advice is
>appreciated!  Thanks,
>

>JK

Nicolas Schneider, PhD Student
University of Bern