Re: redraw of screen: problem solved.

Thanks to Steve Hankin, the problem of Ferret doing a (slow) redraw
every time the window was exposed or moved is now solved:

> Steve Hankin wrote:
>
> The redrawing that you are seeing presumably indicates that the X
> server you are working on has Backing Store turned OFF.  This
> means that exposure events are sent back to the client (Ferret).

This was indeed the case. A quick search on google told me that the
default setting of XFree86 4.0.1 (and up) is apparently to have backing
store turned off. I turned it on by passing the option '+bs' to the
Xserver in /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers:

:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X +bs

and that solved the problem. Ferret only does a redraw now when the
window is resized, in all other cases the window redisplays
immediately.

Thanks, Steve!
	Hein Zelle

    Hein Zelle