a question about anomalies calculation

Hi,

I would like to ask about climatic anomalies calcuation within Ferret. As
far as I have understand, from the 'make_monthly_climatology' GO file and
other mails messages found through the list, the calculation in done by:

original series(os) - monthly means(mm)

But I couldn't find nor understand why the anomalies calculation doesn't
makes use of the standard deviation (sd):

os - mm /sd

My apologies if the answer for this question is just in front of my eyes.

Cheers,

Antonio Rodríguez