Re: removing the ferret logo

Hello Hein -

This is easily done with the /NOLABEL qualifier on
PLOT, CONTOUR, VECTOR etc. There is no need to use
the /SET qualifier first.

A possible disadvantage is that /NOLAB will also remove
some other labels that you might want, including the
axis labels, the automatic title, the data set identifier.
In my opinion, any publication-quality plot will always
need a bit of hand-twiddling, including specifying the
axis labels, format of the numeric axis labels, title
text, size, font, and location, etc. This twiddling is
so easy to do that it doesn't seem to be a problem.
Again this is just my opinion, but there is a qualitative
difference between an exploratory plot and a publication
plot. In the first case, ferret's complete documentation
of the data set and the variable name and exact description
of any smoothing or transformations done are useful. In the
second case, the plotter's scientific judgement comes into
play in, for one, carefully writing a title (or a few lines
of title) that is in effect a caption. I can't imagine (and
wouldn't want) an automatic titler that presumed to do this.
Since publication-quality plots are much, much rarer than
exploratory plots, the small amount of extra work required
to make a really nice looking plot is well worth the effort.

Billy K