Re: mc desciptor file under solaris

Hi All,
Brent and I got this sorted out outside the users list -- the answer is that for Solaris there needs to be a space a the start of any comment lines in the descriptor file, and also at the start of lines that begin with $

We'll add to the documentation a description of the differences in descriptor files for different operating systems!

Ansley Manke

Brent A McDaniel wrote:

Hi Ferreters,

I'm trying to open severel netcdf files using ferret. I've done this before with the same data files under linux ferret with no difficulty but under solaris it doesn't want to work. I've tweaked the .des file that I used under linux so that it complies with the f77 namelist format but still no success.
The error message:
yes? set data uppvpp.des
**TMAP ERR: Error in namelist record
Didn't find: FORMAT_RECORD; or file not descriptor file
Data set: ./uppvpp.des

The .des file:

$FORMAT_RECORD
D_TYPE = ' MC',
D_FORMAT = ' 1A',
D_SOURCE_CLASS = 'MODEL OUTPUT', $END
$BACKGROUND_RECORD
D_EXPNUM = '0000',
D_MODNUM = ' 00',
D_TITLE = 'NCEP reanalysis, Daily averages',
D_T0TIME = '30-DEC-0000 00:00:00',
D_TIME_UNIT = 3600.,
D_TIME_MODULO = .FALSE.,
$END
$MESSAGE_RECORD
D_MESSAGE = ' ',
D_ALERT_ON_OPEN = F,
D_ALERT_ON_OUTPUT = F,
$END
$EXTRA_RECORD
$END

$STEPFILE_RECORD
S_FILENAME = "/data2/gte328r/ncep/temp/des/uppvpp.1957.nc.1957",
S_AUX_SET_NUM = 0,
S_START = 17145984.,
S_END = 17154720.,
S_DELTA = 24.,
S_NUM_OF_FILES = 1,
$END
...... many more files
$STEPFILE_RECORD
s_filename = '**END OF STEPFILES**'
$END

Anyone see anything obvious that I'm missing? I've just started using Ferret w/Solaris so it might be something obvious.

BTW, I tried with the linux naming scheme as well, (using & instead of $ and / instead of $END, still no luck).

More info:
NOAA/PMEL TMAP
FERRET v5.40 Solaris 5.6 - 02/15/02
19-Aug-02 16:24
running under BASH if that makes a difference.

Cheers,

Brent