mc desciptor file under solaris

Hi Ferreters,

I'm trying to open severel netcdf files using ferret.  I've done this
before with the same data files under linux ferret with no difficulty but
under solaris it doesn't want to work.  I've tweaked the .des file that I
used under linux so that it complies with the f77 namelist format but
still no success.

The error message:
yes? set data uppvpp.des
 **TMAP ERR: Error in namelist record
             Didn't find: FORMAT_RECORD; or file not descriptor file
             Data set: ./uppvpp.des

The .des file:

$FORMAT_RECORD
  D_TYPE               = '  MC',
  D_FORMAT             = '  1A',
  D_SOURCE_CLASS       = 'MODEL OUTPUT',
$END
$BACKGROUND_RECORD
  D_EXPNUM             = '0000',
  D_MODNUM             = '  00',
  D_TITLE              = 'NCEP reanalysis, Daily averages',
  D_T0TIME             = '30-DEC-0000 00:00:00',
  D_TIME_UNIT          = 3600.,
  D_TIME_MODULO        = .FALSE.,
$END
$MESSAGE_RECORD
  D_MESSAGE            = ' ',
  D_ALERT_ON_OPEN      = F,
  D_ALERT_ON_OUTPUT    = F,
$END
$EXTRA_RECORD
$END

$STEPFILE_RECORD
  S_FILENAME         = "/data2/gte328r/ncep/temp/des/uppvpp.1957.nc.1957",
  S_AUX_SET_NUM      = 0,
  S_START            = 17145984.,
  S_END              = 17154720.,
  S_DELTA            = 24.,
  S_NUM_OF_FILES     = 1,
$END
...... many more files

$STEPFILE_RECORD
  s_filename           = '**END OF STEPFILES**'
$END

Anyone see anything obvious that I'm missing?  I've just started using
Ferret w/Solaris so it might be something obvious.

BTW, I tried with the linux naming scheme as well, (using & instead of $
and / instead of $END, still no luck).

More info:
 NOAA/PMEL TMAP
        FERRET v5.40
        Solaris 5.6 - 02/15/02
        19-Aug-02 16:24

running under BASH if that makes a difference.

Cheers,

Brent

--
Brent A. McDaniel