Re: batch PostScript

On Fri, 9 Aug 2002, Hein Zelle wrote:
> Several programs exist to 'crop' whitespace around postscript plots. I
> use 'psfixbb 3.0', it works well for me.

Thanks for your help, Hein.  I gave that a try, but it didn't seem to have
any effect on the PostScript files written directly in -batch mode or by
Fprint; they may be non-standard.

I did, however, discover an ImageMagick utility "convert" which works very
well (usage: convert plot.ps plot.eps).  We have this here at GFDL under
Linux, and hopefully soon for our Irix systems.

In the meantime, what seems to work is "ferret -unmapped" (instead of
"ferret -batch") and writing the metafile/PostScript from a Ferret script
as usual.  I think this still requires a DISPLAY to be set, but doesn't
actually send any graphics there.  E.g., within a shell script:

   setenv DISPLAY my_display:0.0
   cat my_script.jnl | ferret -unmapped

Any other comments or hints would be welcome.  Thanks again,

Andrew

Andrew Wittenberg          Program in Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences
andyw@splash.princeton.edu                        Princeton University