Re: hPa or sigma_level as units of vertical axis

> 	I've NetCDF files with vertical coordinate units as "hPa" or
> "sigma_level". When I want to open this file using:
> use filename.nc
> ferret gives error:
>  *** NOTE: Units on axis "lev" are not recognized: hPa
>  *** NOTE: They will not be convertible:
>
> How do I use these kind of files with Ferret?

This message is purely informational. You can still use the files
in ferret. The message is telling you that unlike units that are
"recognized", these axis units will just remain as a list. By
contrast, if for example you had longitude in degrees, then ferret
would recognize that and properly convert it to meters in doing
integrals, derivatives, etc.

See the users guide under "axis" -> "units", which has a better
description and examples that will make this clear.

Regards .... Billy K