Re: working with different datsets types

Hi Antonio,
You can easily work with different dataset types.  Reading ASCII
data is described in the Users Guide, in Chapter 2, section 5, and in
the Commands Reference section under SET DATA.  See "ASCII
data, reading" and "ASCII data, SET DATA/EZ" in the index of the
on-line manual at
http://ferret.pmel.noaa.gov/Ferret/Documentation/Users_Guide/current/fer_html.htm

You can simply specify all the datasets, and then compare the variables,
making sure to give the dataset name or number with the variable.  Here are
some of the kinds of commands you can use:

yes? USE sst_data.cdf

! You need to define an axis and grid for the ascii datasets

yes? DEFINE AXIS/T=?? nao_time
yes? DEFINE GRID/T=nao_time nao_grid
yes? SET DATA/EZ/GRID=nao_grid/var=nao_index  nao.dat
yes? DEFINE AXIS/T=?? soi_time
yes? DEFINE GRID/T=soi_time soi_grid
yes? SET DATA/EZ/var=soi_index  soi.dat

! This will show the datasets you now have open.
yes? SHOW DATA

! Use the data, referencing it by the dataset name or number.
yes? STAT/D=1 sst

! or,  (not knowing the dimensions of your data, I am just
! making up some qualifiers on the data.  You need to make
! sure the dimensions are "conformable"; see conformability in
! the users guide.)

yes? LIST  nao.dat[D=nao.dat] - sst[d=sst.cdf, x=@ave,y=20s:20n@ave]

I hope these ideas will get you started!

Ansley Manke

antonio rodriguez wrote:

Hi,

My question is the following: I have a sst dataset in .cdf format for a
2ºx2º cuadricule. I will like to study the possible relationships
between NAO, ENSO and sst, but both NAO and SOI indexes are just that, a
vector file (ascii). How do I can work out this issue within ferret?

Thanks in advance

Antonio Rodriguez
CICEM Agua del Pino
Huelva, Spain

--
Ansley Manke  Pacific Marine Environmental Laboratory  Seattle WA  (206)526-6246