Re: select daytime data only

Hi Nicholas,
Here's a way to select hourly data just in the daytime hours.  It's based
on the FAQ about making a seasonal mask, where a similar thing is done
to choose just the springtime data out of a weekly series.  See this at:
http://ferret.pmel.noaa.gov/Ferret/FAQ/analysis/seasonal_masking.html

   ! select_daytime.jnl   Get the daytime values out of an hourly series.
   ! First to illustrate the ideas, make up some hourly time data.

   DEF AXIS/T="4-JUL-1998:00:00":"30-JUL-1998:00:00":1/UNITS=hours  hourax
   LET mydat = sin(T[GT=hourax]/20)
   PLOT mydat

   ! Define a variable 0 to 23, hours of the day
   ! select the daytime hours

   LET hrseq = MOD(T[GT=hourax], 24)
   LET night_mask = IF hrseq GT 6 AND hrseq LE 18 THEN 1

   ! List the mask variables to show what the masking will do;
   ! Plot the daytime data.

   LIST/L=1:30  hrseq, night_mask
   PLOT/OVER/SYM/COLOR=red mydat* night_mask

--
Ansley Manke  Pacific Marine Environmental Laboratory  Seattle WA  (206)526-6246