Re: setting regions for drawing polygons

Hi Glenn,
Yes, I understand what you're saying.  Unfortunately, even an abstract
axis has to be in one of the four dimensions, so there are issues if you
have 4-dimensional data.

For the lat and lon, your grid has an abstract axis, and you're right
that if you set a region x=0:160, ferret will just take the first 360 points.
The polygon command uses the VALUES of the variables, not their grid
coordinates which is what's restricted by the SET REGION command.

The basemap.jnl script does not need you to set the region.  It uses
shade/x= /y=  command.

If you do a basemap without using "set region",  you should be able to
call  "go polymark" and see all your lat,lon points.    It should just plot
what is within the area of the basemap.

yes? can region
yes? go basemap x=180:360 y=-40:40
yes? go polymark poly/over lon, lat, sigma

--
Ansley Manke  Pacific Marine Environmental Laboratory  Seattle WA  (206)526-6246