Re: setting regions for drawing polygons

Ansley,

Thanks for your email. In fact I haven't quite solved my problem yet. I understand your comment about the Z axis. It would be nice if polymark used an 'abstract' axis because with some 4D data (xyzt) data I have I need to specify a region in all axes.

> By the way, before you answered your own question, I thought you were
> talking about restricting the range of lat and lon

Yes, I was. And I'm still having problems. Basically what I think is happening is that if I try to specify a region for longitude (e.g. set reg/x=0:360), it's intefering with my lon coordinate array. I have lon[i=1:2562] and by setting the x=0:360, it seems that polymark only takes the first 360 points from lon. I can see this by cancelling the region for x and then all the points are plotted. I can set a region for latitude (y) fine, because my data does not use a latitude axis. The i axis is not really longitude but a count of the no. of data points I have.

what I want to do is plot a basemap for a specified region x=180:360,y=-40:40 and only plot the station points within that region (which is why I don't need the masking because my basemap needs to cover the same region).

Somehow I need to set a region to plot a basemap but then tell ferret to use all the station points and only plot the points that lie in the lat/lon region I've set. I was thinking I need an abstract axis that I can put my longitude points on so that ferret doesn't subset it but I've not figured out how to do that yet!

Hope that makes sense!

Regards,
              GLenn