mask values in NetCDF file

Dear All,
We know how to specify the Missing Values in NetCDF file(using Missing
Flag) and draw it in expected  color(e.g., black, gray..).
But I have another kind of values in NetCDF(in addition to missing
values) which I  need to mask (draw it in a controllable color, because
these values are not the normal valid measurement values and also we do
not want to describe them as Missing values).
How can we define them in NetCDF and draw it in a desired color?

Thanks,
--
Yunyao "Frank" Qu
Satellite Active Archive (SAA)