Ferret hard limits

I've seen references to some of this, but I don't recall seeing any definitive
write-up about it. I know that ferret has several hard limits coded into it,
such as 30 open files at one time, a limit on the length of a variable name
(user defined variable, or even read in from a netCDF file?), limit on the
length of a command with its arguments, etc. Is there some, one, place where
these limits are all documented.

I'm familiar with the three that I mentioned above because I keep bumping into
them (especially the 30 file limit).

Might some of these be relaxed, or made user selectable (if it is a question
of memory, say)?

Thanks. Ferret is a great program, and I use it often.

Rick Slater