Re: Contour from ascii data file

Hi Francisco,
Are your data on a regular grid?  Or are the lat, lon points scattered
in space?  If they are scattered then you can define a regular grid, read
in your data, and use one of the SCAT2GRID* functions to put them
on a regular grid.  With version 4.4, actually, the SCAT2GRID functions
are not available.  You will need to look at the script "objective" which
comes with the Ferret distribution.
yes? go/help objective                        ! and/or
yes? go objective_analysis_demo
If the lat, lon already define a regular grid, then you can either read them in
as in Ch2 Sec5.1.Reading ASCII files,  "Example 2—2 variables, 1 dimension"
(but you'll have 3 variables), and use lat and lon to define your axes, see
DEFINE AXIS/FROM_DATA, or just use your knowledge of the lat and lon
to define axes and read in the third variable only.

Francisco Pastor wrote:

    Hi ferreters

    I am trying to make a contour plot from an ascii data file with
three columns (lat, lon, data). I've searched through the users guide
and the mail archive but can't find the way. Has any of you done
something similar? I'm using Ferret version 4.4 in HP-UX.10.20

    Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

    Paco

--
Francisco Pastor
Meteorology Department

Ansley Manke  Pacific Marine Environmental Laboratory  Seattle WA  (206)526-6246