Re: CMYK colour format

Helpful response from Gabe Vecchi attached.

Lev Tarasoff wrote:

> I understand that ferret/Fprint outputs postscript colour files in RGB
> format. However, AGU requires CMYK colour format for submission to
> its print journals. How can I get CMYK format?
>
> thanks
>
> Lev Tarasoff -  Dept of Physics, University of Toronto,
>                 60 St. George St., Toronto, Ontario, CANADA, M5S 1A7
>                 Tel (416)-946-3019  Fax (416)-978-8905
>                 email: lev@atmosp.physics.utoronto.ca
--- Begin Message ---
Lev,

This is an answer to your question about CMYK in Ferret, forwarded to me by Steve Hankin. I'm attaching the CMYK-based pallette  also.

The way to do it with Illustrator (or Freehand) is to read in the .PS
file, and tell it to change the color mode from RGB to CMYK. In
Illustrator it's in the File->Document Color Mode->CMYK. I don't know any
Free/shareware ways of doing this, though there may be some. Also, I think
that Adobe Acrobat Distiller will allow you to do this when converting to
PDF.

I also have made up a pallette which is very high-contrast (and centered)
for CMYK printing. It's not terrible on the screen either. I made it using by first making a palette by hand in
Illustrator (in CMYK mode), then converting it to RGB and reading off the
RGB values and making a pallette by hand using them. I'm attching the pallette.
Gabe

--
Dr. Gabriel A. Vecchi
Research Scientist