Re: The day of a typical Ferret-user

Hi Siegfried,
I'm sure there are as many answers to this as there are users, and it'd
be great to see others' replies to your question.  There's certainly more
Ferret can do than simply produce graphics from your program output,
though that's a common use.

To get started, read the introductory sections -- Chapter 1 of the Users'
Guide is a reasonable chunk of reading without having to tackle the whole
manual at once.  It gives an overview of working with Ferret.

I'd also like to mention a couple more topics to look at in the Users Guide.
DODS, the Distributed Oceanographic Data System, allows users to
access data anywhere from the internet using Ferret.  Multiple data sets
from your local computer and elsewhere can be brought together and
analyzed within a Ferret session.  And the External Functions capability
lets you put existing C or Fortran code to work as a Ferret function.

You've already seen the demos; browse through the FAQ's for more
examples of some of the things Ferret can do.

Anyone else like take a moment to send a few lines about how you
use Ferret in conjunction with data management, analysis, and graphics?

Ansley Manke

--
Ansley Manke  Pacific Marine Environmental Laboratory  Seattle WA  (206)526-6246