The day of a typical Ferret-user

A few weeks ago I got interested in Ferret, but didn't really dive in,
thus far (okay, I have printed out a few hundret of user manual pages).

The demos have been impressive, but only for my enlightenment: Am I
heading in the right direction with my following assumption about a
Ferret user:

a) I do my programming in C or Fortran or in any other obscure language
(I personally prefer the language Clean).

b)  I use Ferret only for representing the datas.

c) There are guys out there, who are not happy with the typical hatred
Matlab cycle: a little bit testing and programming and an immediate
result in form of a graphical display.

I am not a troll, but I want to know how people try to manage to cope
with data. I am young and in my neighborhood the only tool I see with my
colleagues is the" Interactive Data Language IDL". In scientific
publications one does not see how they managed their data (generally
this is good so and should never become a topic in papers; but sometimes
I am a little bit curious about).

Is there a trick to compile lets say C or Fortran (I assume Ferret will
not communicate with any other language? --e.g. Clean) code and get an
immediate output to a graphic with the help of Ferret? What about if I
insit not using C or Fortran but something others instead?

Regards,
S. Gonzi