Re: external functions on AIX

Hi Andreas,
You should be able to compile external functions for Ferret running
under AIX. The shared object file is however different from the
regular object file.

A couple of ideas (Sounds like you may have done some of this
but I'll go through the steps).  I assume you've downloaded the
external functions tarfile from the web page,
http://ferret.pmel.noaa.gov/Ferret/External_Functions/ferret_EF.html
and gone through the steps there to try to compile the example functions.
Note that the Makefile in the external functions examples directory
has this line:

     include ../ef_utility/platform_specific_flags.mk.$(HOSTTYPE)

What is the value of the environment variable HOSTTYPE on your
machine?  You might need to make a copy of a platform_specific_flags
file with your HOSTTYPE name.   Take a look at those files; you may
need to modify flags there; your compiler documentation should tell
you what flags you need for a dynamic shared object file, for the
definition of $LD_DYN_FLAGS

Let us know if this helps you get going

Ansley Manke